Sunday, July 8, 2012

Beef Leaders Institute

It has been a great start to the summer.  We have had one of the hottest beginning's to summer that I remember, however the cattle are still looking good and the grass is holding up.

In the middle of June I had the opportunity to attend Beef Leaders Institute (BLI) hosted by the American Angus Association.  Being selected to join the group of cattlemen and cattlewomen was indeed a honor.  This was definitely a eye opening experience to portions of the industry that I had not seen.  While on the trip we visited Cargill where they make most of the deli and precooked meats that are sold in many stores around the country.  We also toured Sysco in Nebraska.  While there we had the opportunity to tour the warehouses where their products are shipped from.  I did learn that they are a primary outlet for Certified Angus Beef.  I must say my favorite part of the Institute had to have been touring the Tyson plant.  We had the opportunity to see the entire process starting from the whole carcass hanging on the rail down to a ribeye steak. This was for sure a lot to take in however I have gained an even greater appreciation for the hard work that goes into the whole process.

I would encourage anyone that is a member of the American Angus Association to contact them for information on BLI.  This was a great experience and I'm thankful to the Association for giving me the opportunity to participate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment